Sunday, March 28, 2010

Urban-style Composting

We don't have a yard so much as a dirt patch, and even that we technically share with two other families.  So I was fairly skeptical when my wife suggested we start composting.  I assumed you needed a decent sized area in the corner of a yard to set up some wire to contain grass trimmings and manure, but it looks like you can actually make do with a plastic storage container.

The procedure is simple: just drill holes every 1-2 inches on all sides of the container.  Add stuff.  Shake every day or two.  Here's the container after I just finished it and dumped our first organic kitchen waste into it:


Here is a long list of things that can be composted.  I figured that fruits and vegetables, and even tea and coffee grounds, could go in, but I was surprised to see items like napkins, dryer lint, and various human trimmings on the list.  "Honey, what are you doing throwing away perfectly good toenail clippings?"

The container goes outside our front door on the concrete slab, after throwing in some leaves:



It looks like one is supposed to keep a 50/50 mix of wet, kitchen scrap material and dry, outdoors material.  Now, I am neglecting to chop everything up, so I don't expect the compost to form very quickly.  For this planting season, I am planning to buy a few bags of compost.  This composting container is more of an experiment for future feasibility, and if it goes well it should supply me with the compost I need next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment